Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Losing My Religion (An Existential Crisis)

I have lost my faith in mints. More specifically, I've lost my trust that things that look like mints will actually be mints. You see, a few weeks ago, I wandered over to a coworkers cube and grabbed one of these out of her candy dish:I then returned to my cube and pulled out my loot, ready to enjoy the refreshing minty goodness. I unwrapped my little treasure and popped it in my mouth. And then I immediately spit it out. It was not mint. It was about as far from mint as you can get. It wasn't even cinnamon, like you might rationally also expect. Nooooooooo. It was cherry. That's right. Cherry. A candy that looks like that and tastes like cherry. Is it just me, or does that seem like an incredibly bad marketing scheme?
"We need to make a cherry candy that stands out from all other cherry candies. How do we do that?"
"Oh, I know! We could make them look exactly like mints."
"I don't know..."
"No, it'll be great! See, people will be expecting a mint, and then they'll get a cherry candy and be pleasantly surprised!"
"Brilliant!"

Now, I ask you, who in the world could possibly be expecting a mint and then get cherry and be happy about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment